- About AMP
- AMP Community
- Art News & Media
- Online Resources
- Websites We Like
- AMP Newsletter Archives
- Search AMP
Film Independent is recruiting for a Publicity Manager. Job Description is attached and below. Please have candidates send cover letter, resume and salary history/requirements to: Jobs@FilmIndependent.org.
Reports to: Director of Marketing
As an integral part of Film Independent’s leadership team, Publicity Manager leads the organization’s publicity, communications and public relations campaigns and digital campaigns (as appropriate) to strengthen the Film Independent brand and profile in a regional, national and global position. The Manager conceptualizes and develops publicity strategies and digital initiatives (as appropriate) and overall communication strategies that broaden awareness and reach Film Independent’s constituents—filmmakers (at every experience level), industry professionals, film lovers, funders and the public—while managing a team including part-time contract employees and a variety of independent consultants.
· Oversee & develop publicity and communications strategies, consistent key messages (per stakeholder), and promotions.
· Plan and execute strategies to:
o Connect Film Independent to its programs, establishing the link between the parent organization and its programs.
o Increase industry and public attendance at events and improve broadcast ratings for the Spirit Awards.
o Communicate the organization’s social impact to stakeholders and clarify its mission-based status as a cultural institution.
o Amplify the emotional connection between Film Independent and its constituents, retaining current and attracting new members and funders.
· Enforce organization-wide brand guidelines.
· Manage a limited department budget, consisting primarily of staff and a variety of donated media services and assets.
· Identify staffing, services, vendors, partners, funding, and expertise needed to realize short and long-term goals.
· Directly manage PR consultants, vendors, staff (LA Film Fest PR Coordinator & Assistant), web PR agencies (as appropriate), sponsor PR efforts and other media consultants who may arise.
· Work closely with year-round talent executives, publicists, managers, agents, talent, filmmakers, which includes Spirit Awards nominees, LA Film Fest filmmakers and Fellows.
· Outreach to local, national and international press across all media platforms.
· Develop in-house media relationships for FIND with key editors and reporters across all media platforms.
· Oversee red carpets and press conferences, including talent wrangling.
· Oversee publicist and press credentialing for FIND events.
· Assist in the procurement and management of FIND’s strategic media partners to maximize editorial support from major print, radio, broadcast, and online media sponsors, including Spirit Awards broadcaster, LA Film Festival strategic partners, Film Independent at LACMA strategic partner(s), and others that may be appropriate.
· Support development staff in creating publicity opportunities that attract new major cash and media sponsors and messaging that attracts major individual donors, annual membership gifts and charitable contributions.
· Educate and advise department heads on publicity and communications strategies that result in key measures such as, number of FIND impressions, editorial media placements, representatives on panels and juries, and support of advocacy and other programmatic efforts (as applicable).
· Develop, schedule, and issue press releases and other communications to press, and prepare key FIND executives for interviews and meetings with the press.
· Explore and expand outreach to press from diverse communications and use new technologies and innovative methods to stimulate broader industry and public awareness, globally.
· Stay relevant on current market information. As appropriate, collect market data on television, entertainment, film and like-minded organizations. Conduct market surveys. Communicate findings and adjust plans, schedules and tactics as necessary.
· Set clear and defined goals that address market penetration, qualitative and quantitative efforts and progress towards achieving them.
· Direct Reports include: LA Film Fest Publicity Coordinator and Assistant
· Other duties as assigned.
Competencies and Experience
· A self-motivated, creative individual with strategic thinking skills and a customer focus.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, internal and external.
· Strong management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work as part of a team and motivate others.
· The ability to plan and schedule projects, effectively manage time, and achieveresults with limited resources.
· The ability to prioritize, delegate and meet deadlines.
· A high level of initiative and enthusiasm and a bias for action.
· A passion for cinema, the arts, and/or independent film and a strong dedication to Film Independent and its values of inclusiveness, diversity, and collegiality.
· A strong set of positive core values and principles, integrity and personal ethics.
· Five-ten years public relations, communications, branding, and/or digital technologies, creative development, marketing, experience required.
· Experience in the entertainment, technology or media industries preferred.
· Knowledge of film industry and/or independent film helpful.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
Director of Human Resources & Administration
9911 West Pico Blvd., 11th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Film Independent: http://filmindependent.org
Home of the Los Angeles Film Festival and the Film Independent Spirit Awards
from LA Culture Net